Think of a time when you or someone you know used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate.

 Prompt Response: One time that I have used informal language when formal language would have been more appropriate was when 1 was presenting a project last year in my literature class. I was making a presentation about the book we had been reading, and I had used the word "like" a lot when explaining my discoveries. While the word like" is not an informal word, the overuse of it made my description sound much less professional. I still find myself doing this often, but the difference is that now I notice it whereas before that presentation, I didn't notice it as much. I have gotten a bit better about this overuse, but I will continue and try harder to use it less.

Summary: Today in class we went over formal versus informal language and when to use either bf them- as well as applying it to our group argumentative paragraph.

Reflection: When revising our argumentative paragraph, my group did have a little trouble with our commentary and evidence. We figured it out eventually and our paragraph became a lot stronger. This was thanks to the attention we paid to ensuring our paragraph used formal language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?

Think about a speech, song, or message that has inspired or motivated you. How did the speaker or writer use language to make an impact? Connect your experience to at least one rhetorical device you identified in Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Prompt: As you grow older and face new experiences, what issue or topic do you think you'll have to stand up and debate most often, whether with friends, family, or society?