Prompt: Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?
Prompt Response: One time, I made a claim that I believe older pop-country music is better than the pop-country music being made today. A friend questioned why I felt this way, and I explained about how I feel that today, the pop-country music being made often lacks passion and is very repetitive. I used some of the popular pop-country music artists today as examples, such as Morgan Wallen and Ella Langley. This helped with my argument because I referenced well-known artists who I felt made music that followed my claim: lacking passion and use of repetitive lyrics. By explaining my evidence, I was able to convince my friend to agree with my claim.
Summary: Today in class, we discussed moral justification for situations like murder and backed up our claims with evidence.
Reflection: Today when we had the class discussion, I made a point that I later realized I was unable to explain. This was due to both the fact that I didn't fully think through my claim, as well as because I didn't exactly follow or answer the question. However, I did learn to make sure I have fully thought through my reasonings when making a claim, and understanding the importance of explaining your evidence in order to make your claim more persuasive.
Comments
Post a Comment