Prompt: Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

 Prompt Response: An argument I wish I handled differently is when my sister and I were fighting over wearing each others clothes. My sister was yelling at me for wearing one of her tank tops, and I yelled back about how she had been wearing something of mine two days prior. Looking back, yelling was not the right move. Instead, I should have given her "points". I should have let her win and agreed that I shouldn't have taken her tank top. Once I did this is when I could've brought up the fact that she wore my clothes a few days prior, which would have in the end allowed me to win the argument. 

Summary: Today in class, we took notes from the book "Thank You for Arguing" and learned a lot of different persuasion techniques. 

Reflection: The book, "Thank You for Arguing" allowed me to learn new persuasive techniques that will allow me to win future arguments. The book presented me with real-life scenarios that I might experience, and I will have ways to approach them now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?

Think about a speech, song, or message that has inspired or motivated you. How did the speaker or writer use language to make an impact? Connect your experience to at least one rhetorical device you identified in Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Prompt: As you grow older and face new experiences, what issue or topic do you think you'll have to stand up and debate most often, whether with friends, family, or society?