Prompt: How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community?

 Prompt Response: Living around Atlanta has influenced the way I see community because it has shown me the importance of a truly diverse community. Atlanta is known for its diversity- especially in the areas like where Lakeside is where we are benefited by living, working, and schooling in areas with multiple different cultures, races, and ethnicities. The role of diversity in Atlanta and the world is often underestimated for its importance. Diversity is so important because it allows us to understand and respect other cultures. If I was explaining Atlanta to someone who is unfamiliar, I would want them to understand that our community is special because of its diversity- and I would also want them to understand the privilege they have with their lack of traffic in their city!

Summary: Today in class we analyzed a speech by Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms addressing the violent protests that took place in Atlanta that were fighting for civil rights after the killing of George Floyd. 

Reflection: The worksheet we did in class today really helped with my understanding of rhetorical choice and rhetorical situations. I also appreciated the speech we overlooked due to my familiarity with the city it was addressing and the situation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt: Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?

Think about a speech, song, or message that has inspired or motivated you. How did the speaker or writer use language to make an impact? Connect your experience to at least one rhetorical device you identified in Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Prompt: As you grow older and face new experiences, what issue or topic do you think you'll have to stand up and debate most often, whether with friends, family, or society?